CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, September 19, 2011

Diaper Cake





Hello blogger friends!  I can't believe it's been over a month since my last post.  Not that I'm a daily/weekly or regular blogger, but it's been far too long since I've done anything crafty to share. 

One of my son's soccer coach and his wife are expecting a little girl in October and I decided to make them a diaper cake.  I've seen a few pictures on the Internet and decided to give it a try and just do my own thing.  I am VERY happy with the end result and hope they like it!

I used 66 (yes, sixty-six!) Huggies #1 Diapers, each diaper individually rolled and wrapped in a rubber band.  In the center on the bottom layer is an 8 oz baby bottle (filled with candy for the mom).  I used a larger rubber band around the bottle and the rolled diapers (3 layers deep).  A rubber band was used for each layer.  The middle layer (2 layers deep) and top layer (1 layer deep) has a 4 oz baby bottle in the center (filled with more candy!).  I took the tops off the baby bottles and will give them separately to the parents.

Around the bottom layer of the cake, I folded a fleece receiving blanket and then wrapped pink polka-dot ribbon around it to keep it together.  The ribbon is secured with Terrifically Tacky Tape and it seems to be holding good.  Originally, I used Scor-tape but it wasn't holding the blanket/ribbon together.  The top two layers just have ribbon wrapped around them (to hide the rubber bands), and then I embellished these layers with fun things; rattle, socks, slippers, lotions, onesies, wash clothes, etc.  I tied ribbon around some items and then tied the item to the polka-dot ribbon.  For the socks and slippers I used pins to attach them to the diapers.  For the topper, I used 4 bibs and accordian folded them together to make a flower, tied a rubber band around the bottom part and fussed with the top to make it look like a flower, then stuck the bottom portion in the middle of the cake in the opening of the 4 oz baby bottle.

The cake is sitting on a cardboard circle (hand cut from an old box) and covered in wrapping paper.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to send me an email - I'm always happy to answer any questions you may have.  ~~  judestersworld@gmail.com  ~~
 
Thanks for stopping by.

Toodles,  Jude

This project was linked to:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

These diaper cakes are soo cute!! I've got to try them sometime! :) Thanks for sharing!

Jamie
beingmrsmccann.blogspot.com

Ellen Jarvis said...

Hey, Jude ... love your diaper cake. I'm sure your son's soccer coach and family will not only enjoy it, but will use it well! I linked up to You Had Me at Craft as well and on my post, you can see the diaper cake I made for my daughter/granddaughter. I had a ton of fun making it -- it's a lot easier than dealing with baking and icing!

Lovely blog, by the way. I'm a new follower. Come check out mine!

Fondly,
Ellen ♥ CardMonkey
http://cardmonkey-business.blogspot.com
E-mail: cardmonkey@comcast.net

Post a Comment